The U.S. legal profession has devoted a great deal of attention to issues of diversity and inclusion within its membership. What has been missing, however, are the coordination, communication, and cooperation needed to stay abreast of trends and developments and to learn about the many different facets of diversity, including diversity within diversity. The Institute for Inclusion for the Legal Profession’s Review seeks to fill that void. It uniquely gathers data, academic research, personal observations, and analysis of current efforts. The Review reflects IILP’s desire to dig into the fact and to provide a forum for candid discussion.
On October 23 Winston & Strawn LLP will host the Institute for Inclusion in the Legal Profession’s Chicago Symposium on the State of Diversity and Inclusion in the Legal Profession. The symposium will feature the IILP’s 2017 Review on the State of Diversity and Inclusion with presentations from some of its authors, as well as a round table panel discussion about Diversity and Inclusion.
Featured speakers include:
- Collette Woghiren, Associate, Neal Gerber & Eisenberg on The Undocumented J.D.: The Changing Landscape of Admissibility to the Bar for Undocumented Immigrants;
- Nicole Grabianowski, Associate, Husch Blackwell LLP on Demographics of the Profession;
- Professor Stacy Hawkins, Associate Professor of Law, Rutgers Law School on Focus on the “How” (not the “Why”) of the Commitment to Diversity in the Legal Profession; and
- Sharon E. Jones, CEO, Jones Diversity Group LLC on Diversity and Inclusion: Transformative Steps to a More Inclusive Profession.
Individual speakers will be followed by a panel discussion entitled, If Wishes were Horses…The Legal Profession Would be Diverse and Inclusive: Asking the Hard Diversity and Inclusion Questions, featuring:
- Maryam Ahmad, Chief, Juvenile Justice Bureau, Cook County State’s Attorney’s
- Martin P. Greene, Partner, Zuber Lawler & Del Duca LLP;
- Miguel C. Keberlein Gutiérrez, Executive Director, Legal Aid Society of Metropolitan Family Services;
- Sylvia F. James (moderator), Director of Diversity & Inclusion, Winston & Strawn LLP; and
- Jeffery Jamison, Senior Counsel and Senior Vice President, BMO Harris Bank.
Click here for more information and to register for the Chicago Symposium.
You can learn more about The Institute for Inclusion in the Legal Profession and its mission and core philosophy here.